Saturday, February 26, 2011

owl ball

I needle felted a ball for a little toddler I know.
Disclaimer: crappy photos from my phone

just added layers of roving and needle felting each layer.

There are a lot of layers. When it was big enough, I thought to make an animal out of it. This one is supposed to be an owl. I only had 10 minutes to work on it as we were late for the party.

I want to make another as a dog. Stay tuned. This has a bit of bounce to it, which was a surprise. The little boy loved it.

I think next time I'll try to wet felt the final layer. I don't feel as I 'lived' with this toy long enough before I gave it away. But now that it was made, I can do another. Why not try it? I heard wool balls are also good to use as dryer balls to help with static?

thanks for looking,
Amanda

4 comments:

eidolons said...

We use ours as dryer balls. They, in theory, help the clothes dry faster as well.

Also, great cat toys. It's amazing how multi-purpose they are. (:

W-S Wanderings said...

Of COURSE he loved it! I started making one a few years ago, but got annoyed with the process and how long it was taking. But I was wet-felting. Yours is all done by needle? Perhaps that is the answer. Whatever the case, owls and balls - what's not to love?!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi :) I just happened across your blog tonight and thought I'd mention that we used them as dryer balls as well. I find they really help with the static and if you have enough of them going in the dryer with your clothes they actually cut down on the drying time to :) Another nice thing is that you can drop some of your favorite essential oils onto the ball and they will scent your laundry as it dries to :) Love your owl!

K said...

And another one. It's a creature-ball festival. Now Rosy tells me they're practical, too. I am charmed.